How to recycle your clothes?
Recycle: Recreate, reuse, reconstruct!
Inspired by Gok Wan’s Fashion fix, this blog is all about thinking out of the box.
Gok Wan repeatedly works out different ways of wearing a top or a dress and creates many different looks and with just a snip here and a stitch there he transforms the ordinary to extraordinary.
So, if you have a wardrobe full of clothes that you don’t want to part with and yet feel like you need a new look- get your thinking caps on and here is what you do –
Get a very clear idea of what looks best on your body shape and would be suitable for your image. After which, you separate the pieces that you wear regularly from the ones that don’t seem to work for some reason or the other.
Style re-vamp ideas:
1. Change the length of a skirt, a dress or a top. More often than not, every wardrobe has some long dresses and skirts that are much loved but never worn or not worn enough. Alteration is the answer.. get them taken up.
2. Change a neckline – you will be surprised how changing a crew neck to v-neck or turtle neck to scoop neck can totally change the way the top looks.
3. Change a sleeve length – if a sleeve is too long for this weather, get it altered to cap or sleeveless
4. Change the trouser leg – change pant leg width to suit your body shape. Here is an example.
5. Take inspiration from the uniform project ( introduced to us by our lovely client). It shows how one dress can be worn throughout the year and made to look different everyday. Some looks work better than the others for sure but notice how changing the accessories can make a big difference. Use these accessories as accents to brighten up a dull combination.
Again, think out of the box, look at shop window displays and fashion magazines for ideas and try to create combinations that you might not have tried before.. create different colour combinations…
and if you really want to get into it, you can even try to reconstruct your own clothes. There are many clever ideas available here to get your creative juices flowing.
Don’t let your wardrobe weigh you down….Enjoy recreating your image and reduce your carbon footprint..
Our green effort at Image & Me in support of upcycling pre-loved clothes is through TOPSWOP. We look forward to seeing you at the next TOPSWOP event on 16th November. Write to us to find out more details.